I know that Melvin will eat anything. Cupcake covered in ants, chicken bone that has been cooking in the hot summer sun, goose poop. You enter it HERE and I assure you he will eat it. In a neighborhood where houses are being built (i.e. workers all over who discard food by throwing it on the ground), walking can be like maneuvering through a minefield.
Jake is proving himself to be similar, yet different. Jake eats weird stuff. Plumbers putty from the side of the house, rocks, leaves, a baby frog. This weekend, it was chewed gum. Since we didn’t know if it was sugar-free gum or not (turns out it was) we called poison control to get advice on what to do. (For those of you who don’t know, sugar-free gum that contains xylitol is toxic to dogs). I gave poison control my phone number and immediately they asked “is this for Jake?”. He’s a frequent flyer at poison control.
Apparently, the xylitol in sugar-free gum tricks a dog’s body into thinking it has consumed A LOT of sugar and the dog’s reaction to so much sugar can, in some instances, cause liver failure. I’m sure a vet could critique the explanation I just gave but that’s the basic gist of it. Jake had some minor stomach upset, he threw up and that was pretty much that. Poison control said to be on the lookout for him acting ‘odd’ or ‘out of sorts’. I questioned my ability to know what odd Jake would be like. For example, I give you the video below. He was staring into space long enough for me to go get my camera and start filming him. Still, to be honest, this is not totally out of character for my little man:
Just an FYI…while on the phone with poison control they informed me that if a dog is microchiped through Home Again (or registered through Home Again), the cost of calls to poison control is covered!