Jake had his sixth therapy session last week. The first few sessions we did laser and acupuncture. Even with an every-other-week schedule, I wasn’t really seeing a difference in the monkey-man. He has what I call ‘uptime’ on his legs, which is about 75% of the (awake) day and ‘downtime’ on his legs, which is the other 25% . While he was not worsening, therapy just didn’t seem to be doing anything.
There are a few goals with Jake in general — bulk him up and build as much muscle mass as possible. Also, keep his hind legs working as much as he’s able to so that they don’t atrophy. For all we know, a cure for spinal scarring could come one day and we won’t have that option if his legs atrophy.
So on our fifth session of therapy we decided to mix things up a bit and swap out acupuncture for B12 shots (injections given at the same points the acupuncture needles go in). While there was no shift in the uptime versus downtime, I did notice that during his uptime, he seemed much stronger, even after just one B12 treatment. That continued with the last treatment as well.
When you have a dog who has paralysis in his future, little victories like this are HUGE. Like I may get him a trophy. And a theme song. Also, little man is much beefier now and you have no idea how cute he looks. I keep expecting him to say ‘I’m da terminator’.
His waddle is now so epic it can hold his head up while he sleeps.
We send lots of love and healing light!
p.s. the title made Mama LOL!
Hahahah, I know, I laughed as I was typing it!
Hopefully the new treatments keep working – he’s lucky to have you keeping his legs as strong as possible. Nice to have a friend to cuddle with during downtime too!
Melvin is always there for him for the resting part!
Lots of love sent to Jake! Praying the new treatments continue to show progress.
Yes!! Thank you!
I’m glad the B12 is working. Was it the cold laser treatment you were getting?
Yes on cold, do you think one is better than the other?
I don’t know enough about it to say. I have an arthritic cat and I am looking at treatment options.
Is that the Rocky theme song I hear in the background?
Hahahhahaha! As awesome as that would be, I feel like Jake’s version needs to have some clown zoink and bops in it! He’s the comedian version of Rocky!
It sounds like you’re on the right track towards the treatment combo that will be the winning one. I love what the laser was able to do for Dottie. Sending lots of loves in the mean time!
You know I got a B12 shot once and woah, did I ever have a ton of energy afterwards!
Yes. Theme song needs to happen.
So glad that you’ve found something that is working – for now at least!!