This past week has been buuuuussssssyyyyyyy! Here a quick recap to explain our absence:
- I was still in vacation mode.
- We got house guests, two-legged and four. The four legger did not love Doug. I’m not even sure she moderately liked Doug. So it was gating and rotating.
- I got a three-day migraine. Fun!
- I fractured my hand. Doug was not responsible. My clumsiness reigns supreme.
- My new work schedule started. I now go into the office three days a week.
That last one has been the biggest change for me and for Doug. Not so much for me that there is a change to where I work during the day, but for me in that I worry how it will impact Doug.
What is worrying?
Doug has energy. We know this. When I’m in the home office, he keeps himself busy on various floors and rooms of the house. He plays with toys, he runs zoomies, he chews pillows (I can hear you, Doug!). He goes out back and runs more zoomies. But unfortunately, when I leave, Doug has not earned run of the house yet. He is still gated in the mudroom.
- I leave.
- He eats his Kong.
- He repositions on his indestructible bed that had I to buy because he is, well, a destructor.
- After an hour or so he wakes up and wants to chew. He avoids the toys and chews I leave him and instead chews the bed (fixed that), the rug, the legs to the indestructible bed.
- Repeat chewing.
- You get it.
So I set him up to have a half hour walk mid-morning and another mid-afternoon. I leave new Kongs for those visits. I check in on him to be sure he is behaving.
I have tried leaving him on the first floor in the house. I take all the pillows up. He ignores his toys and goes right for the couch cushions. Or the shag rug. Or the acrylic dining chairs. Napping in between each one. Why, Doug, why?
I would never eat these pillows, they feel way too comfy on my parts.
So this is what I have been doing for the last week, worrying and strategizing on how to make this work transition, easier for my boy. I’ve also been missing Jakey this week. Oh grief, this week, you win.
We will be back to our regular blogging schedule next week! We have some meet and greets to tell you about.